BodyGuard / Medical Courses from the SOS GROUP

Click on the Logo !

STREIT Armored Cars


Global Leader in Armored Transportation !!!

ADT Home Security
The Security Website : ADT Alarm Systems

For Specialised ADT

Home Security Solutions

Please Click HERE



Close Protection Courses from the SIRAS ACADEMY

Click on the Logo !

University of St Andrews


Terrorism Studies Course from The University of St Andrews ENROLLING NOW !!




Aviation Security Directory from TTF

Click on the Logo !

Travel Security Advice

Sub Menu

Travel Security Advice for St Kitts and Nevis




St. Kitts and Nevis is a developing Caribbean nation consisting of two islands.  Tourist facilities are widely available.  Read the Department of State Background Notes on St. Kitts and Nevis for additional information.


The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires all travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada to have a valid passport to enter or re-enter the United States. When traveling by air, U.S. citizens must have a valid U.S. passport.  When traveling by sea, as of June 1, 2009, all U.S. travelers must have a U.S. passport or U.S. passport card.   We strongly encourage all American citizen travelers to apply for a U.S. passport or passport card well in advance of anticipated travel.  American citizens can visit travel.state.gov or call 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778) for information on how to apply for their passports. 

Visitors may be asked to present an onward/return ticket and proof of sufficient funds to cover the cost of their visit.  Stays of up to three months are granted at immigration.  Anyone requiring an extension must apply to the Ministry of National Security.  There is an airport departure tax and environmental levy charged when leaving the country.  Visit the Government of St. Kitts and Nevis web site for the most current visa information.

Information about dual nationality or the prevention of international child abduction can be found on our web site.  For further information about customs regulations, please read our Customs Information sheet.


For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs’ website at http://travel.state.gov/, where the current Travel Warnings and Public Announcements, including the Worldwide Caution, can be found.

Up-to-date information on safety and security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S. and Canada, or for callers outside the U.S. and Canada, a regular toll-line at 1-202-501-4444.  Phone lines are open from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

The Department of State urges American citizens to take responsibility for their own personal security while traveling overseas.  For general information about appropriate measures travelers can take to protect themselves in an overseas environment, see the Department of State’s A Safe Trip Abroad.


St. Kitts and Nevis experienced an increase in violent crime in 2008.  Also, petty street crime and burglary continue to occur.   Visitors and residents should take common-sense precautions.  Avoid carrying large amounts of cash and use hotel safety deposit facilities to safeguard valuables and travel documents.  Do not leave valuables unattended on the beach or in cars.  Walking alone at night is strongly discouraged.


The loss or theft abroad of a U.S. passport should be reported immediately to the local police and the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  If you are the victim of a crime while overseas, in addition to reporting to local police, please contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for assistance.  The Embassy/Consulate staff can, for example, assist you to find appropriate medical care, contact family members or friends and explain how funds could be transferred.  Although the investigation and prosecution of the crime is solely the responsibility of local authorities, consular officers can help you understand the local criminal justice process and to find an attorney if needed. 

As in the United States, the emergency line in St. Kitts and Nevis is: 911.

See our information on
Victims of Crime .


Medical care is limited.  The main hospitals are Joseph N. France General Hospital (telephone (869) 465-2551) on St. Kitts and Alexandria Hospital (telephone (869) 469-5473) on Nevis.  St. Kitts has two additional hospitals and both islands have several health clinics.  Neither island has a hyperbaric chamber.  Divers suffering from decompression illness are transported to the island of Saba, in the Netherlands Antilles.  Serious medical problems requiring hospitalization and/or medical evacuation to the U.S. can cost thousands of dollars.  Doctors and hospitals expect immediate cash payment for health services.

HIV/AIDS entry restrictions may exist for visitors to and foreign residents of St. Kitts and Nevis.  Please verify the most current information with the Government of St. Kitts and Nevis before you travel.

Information on vaccinations and other health precautions, such as safe food and water precautions and insect bite protection, may be obtained from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s hotline for international travelers at 1-877-FYI-TRIP (1-877-394-8747) or via the CDC’s web site.  For information about outbreaks of infectious diseases abroad, consult the World Health Organization’s (WHO) web siteFurther health information for travelers is available from the WHO.


The Department of State strongly urges Americans to consult with their medical insurance company prior to traveling abroad to confirm whether their policy applies overseas and whether it will cover emergency expenses such as a medical evacuation.  Please see our information on medical insurance overseas.


While in a foreign country, U.S. citizens may encounter road conditions that differ significantly from those in the United States.  The information below concerning St. Kitts and Nevis is provided for general reference only, and may not be totally accurate in a particular location or circumstance.

Traffic in St. Kitts and Nevis moves on the left-hand side of the road.  Roads are reasonably well paved but narrow and sometimes poorly marked.  Drivers often stop on the side of or in the middle of the road to visit with other drivers, blocking one lane of traffic.  Honking one's horn is a common form of greeting, not a warning. 

Travelers are required to obtain a visitor's drivers license, which may be obtained from the Traffic Department or the Fire Station for a small fee on presentation of a valid home or international license.  Public Transportation consists of mini-buses and taxis.  Established, reasonable fares are available from airport dispatchers and local hotels.  Complaints regarding taxi or minibus services may be lodged with The Department of Tourism or with your hotel.

More detailed information on roads and traffic safety can be obtained from the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and the Environment, Bay Road, Pelican Mall, P.O. Box 132, Basseterre, St. Kitts, telephone (869) 465-4040.  For specific information concerning St. Kitts and Nevis driving permits, vehicle inspection, road tax and mandatory insurance, contact the
Government of St. Kitts and Nevis or the St. Kitts and Nevis Tourism Board.

Please refer to our Road Safety page for more information. 


The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the Government of St. Kitts and Nevis’ Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of St. Kitts and Nevis’s air carrier operations.  For more information, travelers may visit the FAA web site.


There is no U.S. Embassy or Consulate in St. Kitts and Nevis.  The U.S. Embassy in Bridgetown, Barbados, is responsible for American citizen services in these islands.  U.S. citizens are encouraged to carry a copy of their U.S. passports or other proof of citizenship with them at all times so that, if questioned by local officials, proof of identity and U.S. citizenship are readily available.

All Caribbean countries can be affected by hurricanes.  The hurricane season normally runs from early June to the end of November, but there have been hurricanes in December in recent years.
  General information about natural disaster preparedness is available from the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). 

St. Kitts and Nevis uses eminent domain laws that allow the government to legally expropriate private property for the betterment of the public.  The concept of eminent domain and the expropriation of private property is typically governed by laws that require governments to adequately compensate owners of the expropriated property at the time of its expropriation or soon thereafter.  The government of St. Kitts and Nevis uses eminent domain to acquire private property, and the law in St. Kitts and Nevis requires the government to compensate owners.  However, in St. Kitts and Nevis in practice, the government has often not paid compensation for private property expropriated under its eminent domain laws.  Currently the U.S. Embassy in Bridgetown is aware of five separate cases involving the seizure of private land by the government.  One such case has been under litigation since 1987 and is yet to be resolved, despite a favorable court ruling for the property owner.  The U.S. Embassy in Bridgetown therefore recommends caution when investing in real estate in St. Kitts and Nevis. 

Please see our Customs Information.


While in a foreign country, a U.S. citizen is subject to that country's laws and regulations, which sometimes differ significantly from those in the United States and may not afford the protections available to the individual under U.S. law.  Penalties for breaking the law can be more severe than in the United States for similar offenses.  Persons violating St. Kitts and Nevis laws, even unknowingly, may be expelled, arrested or imprisoned.  Penalties for possession, use, or trafficking in illegal drugs or firearms in St. Kitts and Nevis are severe, and convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences and heavy fines.  Engaging in sexual conduct with children or using or disseminating child pornography in a foreign country is a crime, prosecutable in the United States.  Please see our information on Criminal Penalties


For information see our Office of Children’s Issues web pages on intercountry adoption and international parental child abduction


Americans living or traveling in St. Kitts and Nevis are encouraged to register with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate through the State Department’s travel registration web site, and to obtain updated information on travel and security within St. Kitts and Nevis.  Americans without Internet access may register directly with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  By registering, American citizens make it easier for the Embassy or Consulate to contact them in case of emergency.  The U.S. Embassy covering St. Kitts and Nevis is located in Barbados in the Wildey Business Park, Wildey, St. Michael, telephone 1-246-436-4950.  The main number for the Consular Section is (246) 227-4399; after hours, the Embassy duty officer can be reached by calling (246) 227-4000.  Visit the U.S. Embassy Bridgetown online for more information.  Hours of operation are 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday-Friday, except Barbados and U.S. holidays. 

This replaces the Country Specific Information for St. Kitts and Nevis dated April 22, 2009 to update the section on Special Circumstances. 

The UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office also has information regarding Saint Kitts and Nevis HERE......

Looking for an Embassy ?, You can also check out our World Wide Embassies Listings Section HERE (For US Citizens) or HERE (For UK Citizens)........


The SW Team.............


Direct Gov Travel News and Alerts